A staggering 81 per cent of Australian small businesses don’t fully understand their workplace health and safety obligations.
October is safe work month, providing the perfect opportunity to assess your workplace safety performance. And it couldn’t come any sooner for Australian small businesses. That’s because a new study from Employsure found an alarming number are falling well short of their legal obligations.
The data found that 81 per cent of Australian small businesses don’t fully understand their workplace safety obligations, with only half claiming they meet their obligations across all areas of workplace safety. Only 20 per cent feel confident implementing a workplace safety plan, and less than 60 per cent understand what to do if an employee gets injured.
And they don’t know even know where to turn for help. Over a third of respondents admitted to relying on Google for their health and safety concerns. Employsure managing director Ed Mallet said small businesses want to do the right thing but are “crippled by the complexity of what they are required to do.”
“Our research found that small businesses want to improve their workplace safety, particularly around improved documentation, managing bullying, training staff and responding to an injury. They want to do more, but often don’t know how.”
The index also revealed the top 5 safety issues facing small businesses:
• The complexity of the rules
• Constant changing of the rules
• The amount of paperwork
• The time required for compliance
• Staff being careless
“With about five million Australians employed by small businesses, it’s so important that we get safety right and minimise the complexities and drain that compliance creates to keep workplaces safe. This isn’t just a workplace issue, this is a national issue.”
The Employsure Workplace Safety Index was conducted in August 2017 by Galaxy Research to track Australian small business’ understanding and confidence in planning, managing and implementing their workplace health and safety obligations.
myosh365 features simple safety compliance tools and resources for small business from just $39 per month. A huge library of safety manuals and guidelines is included plus tools for incident and hazard management. Be smart, save money and comply with health and safety legislation.
Features include 9 Cloud Based modules and a Mobile App for quick reporting.
- Huge HSEQ Library – Access over 2000 templates and resources. Include your own Templates and Documents. Quickly Clone, Edit and Share.
- Log Incidents on your mobile, desktop or smart device, anytime, anywhere. Notify, Investigate, Assign Actions, Add Images, Attachments and Share.
- Hazards – Build your Client’s Risk Profile. Log or Access Client’s Hazards on your mobile, desktop or smart device. Seek to eliminate first or create controls. Set review notifications to monitor and re-evaluate.
- SWMS – Coming Soon – Create and Manage Client Safe Work Method Statements
- Training – Record and Store employee competencies for easy retrieval. Record Inductions, Set Actions and Renewals. Attach files.
- Registers – Track plant/equipment, record critical dates. Set actions and renewals, attach related files.
- Checklists – Pre-loaded with 28 comprehensive Industry based Checklists. Order Customised Inspections to improve client processes and productivity.
- Meetings – Communicate your improvements, Share and Document news, actions and results.
- Actions Get Things Done – Assign, Notify and Track actions for everyone.