Employers are required to have an understanding of what risks their employees might carry or be exposed to and manage these risks in the workplace, to avoid illness or injury to the employee or to fellow employees. Risk assessment and controls are the first part of Health Surveillance. Control measures may not always be reliable, so Health Surveillance can contribute to the early detection of any ill health effects.
In accordance with the Public Service Regulations, a company head may, in writing, direct an employee to attend a medical examination, by a nominated medical practitioner, for the purposes of assessing the employee’s fitness for duty.
Under the Work Health and Safety Act, a company must ensure that its ‘acts or omissions do not adversely affect the health and safety of other persons. The company must therefore monitor employee health and the conditions of the workplace to prevent injury or illness.
The collection of health information by Australian employers is a well-established practice in a number of situations including:
- pre-employment medicals,
- periodic medicals to assess fitness for duty,
- occupational health and safety assessments,
- workers’ compensation claims
- retirement medicals
- sick leave examinations to determine whether a person’s illness or injury has resulted in a permanent or temporary disability
- industry specific requirements and laws e.g. hazardous substances, lead, asbestos, biological agents, Oil and Gas Offshore, Coal mining etc.
The myosh Health Management Module is used to monitor health records and to ensure employees have completed the relevant health tests and checks.
What does it do?
- Record health and health testing information
- Notify when testing needs to be redone
- Produce automated reports
What reports can I create?
- Custom build your own, using filters to select required records, then select the fields to display
- Export to Excel
Can I configure the module?
- Add new or remove values from existing fields through a simple to use web interface
- Add different health items to monitor
- Define who is notified when retesting is required
- Change content of the help screens
- Email reminders when retesting is required
- Auto archiving when person is archived
- Health records reinstated if person is un-archived
- Integrate with payroll, HR or ERP systems for automated employee updates
- Links to action management and employee module